We LOVE Bastimentos Island and you will too.
Isla Bastimentos one of the last remaining authentic islands in the Bocas del Toro archipelago. The people, the amazing beaches, the food, the music– it’s what you expect when visiting the Caribbean. We love to stroll down the sleepy town of Old Bank and hear the local Guari-Guari dialect, or chill at one of the many small restaurants eating local Caribbean cuisine or other amazing dishes while enjoying the views of the ocean or the jungles of Bastimentos Island.
And thanks to the community and local representative Ashburn Stanley starting this May 14th 2015 there will be 5 days of wild fun, games, boat races, live music and lots of dancing on Isla Bastimentos. Here are 5 reasons why you DEFINITELY don’t want to miss the 2015 Bastimentos International Fair.
1. Boat Races & Games: A series of original water-inspired games have been planned, all hosted right outside of Old Bank town on isla Bastimentos. Games include: boat races, jousting, log rolling, surfboard paddling contests, kayak relay races and a cayuco rowing race. Find a boat heading to the island and watch the event either from the deck of a catamaran or floating around in the bay. It’s a one of a kind experience.
2. Bastimentos Town Party: As the evening approaches the town will host a variety of music events including live music performances from local calypso bands such as Los Mixtos Band and others.
3. Food: Enjoy the delicious tastes of Bastimentos Island! There will be food booths in the center of town offering local Caribbean cuisine and even vegetarian options for visitors. Get a taste of what Bastimentos has to offer.
4. The People: The crowd will be a mix of local bocatorenians, tourists and expats living in Bocas del Toro. Come mingle with everyone and find out why people love Bastimentos.
5. The Fair Helps the Local Community: Part of the profits will be used for improvements to Isla Bastimentos community. Organizations such as Bastimentos Clean Green will do plastic recycling demonstrations of trash bins, artwork, cups and much more – all made from recycled bottles.
Grab discounted boat rates at Bocas Town next to Bocas Marine Tours everyday of the event. Don’t miss out on this event – as always, it will be BIG FUN!